First, congratulations to John, at https://thesoundofonehandtyping.wordpress.com/ winner of this year’s SOCS badge contest. I love the colors and the clarity of this badge. Good job, John!
And now, to the Stream of Consciousness. Linda’s prompt for today was, “cash.” I like to use cash when I can, rather than credit or debit cards, and much more than on line purchasing. You see, I’m a wee bit paranoid, no, I’m cautious, about the security risks. I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur in that I don’t use ATM machines. So when I cash a check, I deposit most of it and keep out the cash I think I’ll need. And I still write checks to pay most of my bills. Does anyone else still do that. Please don’t tell me I’m the only one. But I’ll still do it. It works for me.
I know that doesn’t exactly fit with the idea of faith, hope and perseverance, in my blog subtitle, except it does for the perseverance part. What does fit with faith and hope is that for the past few years, some of my passwords have had phrases related to more cash. More cash from alternate sources rather than the job I worked for so long. Creative sources of cash. Not those exact words, cause hey, they are secret, magic words. And they worked, along with the law of attraction, and my higher power, aka, God, not necessarily in that order.
This vision of cash from more creative sources, the general idea, manifested when my high school sweetheart husband who found me thirty nine years later said to me, “I’m about to be 59 and a half. That means I can withdraw from my retirement. How would you like to quit your job, so you can focus more on writing and art?”
That was well over a year ago, that he said that. And for at least six months, before I accepted his offer, I asked him, like once a week, “Are you serious?” which turned into, “Is it really okay if I quit my job?” and “Are you sure you’re okay with that?” I couldn’t believe my luck.
But it wasn’t really luck, was it?
I’m still careful with money. The fact that we are both frugal is part of what allowed me to cut back on my old job. We have a modest home, small by some standards, in America anyway, and we don’t spend a lot of money on luxuries. But I am happy. And I have enough cash. I have everything I need. And I’m thankful.
Here’s a little clip about cash from one of my favorite movies, brought to you by my stream of Consciousness. In It’s a Wonderful Life, George and Mary are headed for their honeymoon when…
Want to learn more about the Stream of Consciousness Saturday? Visit Linda’s blog,where you don’t need any cash:
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The’,” or simply a single word to get your started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!